7:30 AM - 8:30 AM Continental Breakfast and Networking
7:30 AM - 8:30 AM New Member Orientation
8:30 AM - 11:00 AM Program
10:00 AM - 10:15 AM Break
11:00 AM Program Concludes
Click here to download the parking pass.
Gender/Transgender Sensitivity and Inclusion
Is your organization trans-friendly? Take a look around your workspace – how are the restrooms labeled? Do you have a dress code or uniform requirements that pose challenges for some? Are all your forms, policies and internal documents inclusive of transgender identities? If someone approached you about their transition, do you know how to handle names changes and changes in which pronouns to use? Do you or your employees have knowledge of what being transgender involves, of what terminology is and isn’t acceptable to use, of what is involved in transition, and how they should support transitioning colleagues? Have you considered what transgender issues actually are, and how to make your organizations trans-friendly? We often only take action when someone actually approaches us to say they are transitioning. Yet wouldn’t it be better if you had considered transgender issues earlier on, and taken steps to create a workplace which is trans-friendly?
"Gender/Transgender Sensitivity and Inclusion” is a program and facilitated conversation to discuss the diversity of trans identities and experiences, practice trans-inclusive language, and learn about ways to be an ally to this broad and growing community. During the program, we’ll:
1. Discuss the diversity of transgender identities and experiences; familiarize ourselves with the broad array of terms and definitions in the transgender community
2. Recognize the struggles transgender people face, and how those struggles impact your work with them – barriers they face in health care, employment, education, and other systems
3. Practice and utilize appropriate and compassionate language when working with transgender people
4. Plan ways to be an ally to transgender people
5. Design forms, policies, and internal documents that are inclusive of transgender identities
Mason J. Dunn
Executive Director at Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition, Co-Chair of the Freedom Massachusetts Coalition
Mason Dunn is executive director of the Mass Trans Political Coalition and co-chair of the Freedom for all Massachusetts campaign. An educator and activist, Mason has been working around the country for many years on trans rights and advocacy. He is also an adjunct faculty member at UNH Manchester, teaching on LGBTQ media and perspectives, and he serves on the Massachusetts Commission on LGBTQ Youth, and on the board of the Equality Federation. Mason graduated from the University of New Hampshire School of Law and holds a BA in Criminal Justice from Western Oregon University.